Carrefour ties up with Apple farmers in Himachal
In a farsighted move, French retail giant Carrefour, is extending technical support to apple farmers in Himachal Pradesh.
October 12, 2009 | comments ( 0 ) |
In a farsighted move, French retail giant Carrefour, is extending technical support to apple farmers in Himachal Pradesh. The company is working with progressive farmers willing to go ahead with modern retail in Matiana region of Shimla district to improve their farming techniques and then deliver better quality apple by advising them on limited chemicals usage, natural fertilizing, harvest handling and post harvest storage conditions. As soon as the first Carrefour store is open in India, the company will start a regular supply from Matiana to New Delhi for Himachal apples. Delhi based Dev Bhumi Cold Chain is one of the selected suppliers of the company which will ensure storage and logistic from Himachal to New Delhi for selected farmers. Carrefour has been exchanging views on the production practices of apple farmers and company requirements for produces with the farmers in the region. Currently more than 30 farmers with minimum land holding of 10-15 bighas were part of the program. With Carrefour stating that it plans to open its first cash-and-carry outlet in India in early 2010 the company has already selected some suppliers and is continuously exploring all sourcing possibilities for coming opening on a more long term approach in the fresh fruits and vegetables sector.
- V-Mart eyes tier 3 & 4 cities for expansion
- 7-Eleven eyes entering India with Future Group
- Bharti Airtel opens its 100th Next-Gen store
- WoodenStreet plans to launch 15 stores by 2019-end
- Skechers acquires Future Group's 49% stake in joint venture
- Bata reports 16% growth in net sales at Rs 7,787 mn
- Spin introduces its 1st experience store in Delhi
- Skechers India to become wholly-owned subsidiary of Skechers Footwear
- bigbasket expands its offerings to include beauty products
- Health & Glow launches its 150th store in India