Carrefour ties up with Apple farmers in Himachal
In a farsighted move, French retail giant Carrefour, is extending technical support to apple farmers in Himachal Pradesh.
October 12, 2009 | comments ( 0 ) |
In a farsighted move, French retail giant Carrefour, is extending technical support to apple farmers in Himachal Pradesh. The company is working with progressive farmers willing to go ahead with modern retail in Matiana region of Shimla district to improve their farming techniques and then deliver better quality apple by advising them on limited chemicals usage, natural fertilizing, harvest handling and post harvest storage conditions. As soon as the first Carrefour store is open in India, the company will start a regular supply from Matiana to New Delhi for Himachal apples. Delhi based Dev Bhumi Cold Chain is one of the selected suppliers of the company which will ensure storage and logistic from Himachal to New Delhi for selected farmers. Carrefour has been exchanging views on the production practices of apple farmers and company requirements for produces with the farmers in the region. Currently more than 30 farmers with minimum land holding of 10-15 bighas were part of the program. With Carrefour stating that it plans to open its first cash-and-carry outlet in India in early 2010 the company has already selected some suppliers and is continuously exploring all sourcing possibilities for coming opening on a more long term approach in the fresh fruits and vegetables sector.
- Traders to shut shops on Sep 28 against Walmart-Flipkart deal
- Flipkart blacklists several sellers selling sub standard bedsheets
- Paytm launches its own AI cloud for India
- Amazon may pick up stake in hypermarket chain More
- Mitashi mulling doubling sales to Rs 1,000 crore in 3 yrs
- Lifestyle plans to open 20 new outlets
- GST refund adversely effects Small biz exports
- Amway may bring its herbal range to overseas market
- Haier Introduces Luxurious Glass Finish Side by Side Refrigerator in India
- Walmart India Activates UPI on its B2B e-commerce Platform