Equity capital raised
BigBasket.com raises $10 million from Ascent Capital.March 07, 2012 | comments ( 0 ) |
BigBasket.com, the online grocery retailer, has raised $10 million equity capital from Ascent Capital in its first institutional round of funding. The portal is a venture of the team that founded FabMart.com in 1999 and then had been running the Fabmall-Trinethra offline chain of more than 200 grocery supermarkets stores in south India.
"We are delighted to work with the BigBasket team to establish a leading position in the grocery retail business in India, which is a $160 billion opportunity. As an early mover, with significant traction, and an experienced founding team, BigBasket has the potential to be the leader in the space. Having backed the same team in their Fabmart.com foray, we have complete confidence in their ability to deliver an unparalleled retail option for consumers’ grocery needs,” said Raj Kondur, Director, Ascent Capital.
BigBasket plans to expand to five cities by the end of this year.
- Montblanc opens new boutique in Bangalore
- Milkbasket tops up its Series A with another $7 Million
- Lingerie e-tailer Clovia plans to open 75 stores by 2021-end
- Welspun group aims Rs 1,000 crore turnover from new flooring line
- Miniso eyes sourcing Indian products to Australia & US
- Trek Bicycles plans to expand retail stores across India
- Vision Express starts its 16th store in New Delhi
- BlueStone launches its first store in Mumbai
- Splash Fashions to expand its digital presence
- Toonz Retail opens store in Dwarka