Gitanjali acquires stake in Verite
Eyes expansion in Japanese diamond jewellery market.August 20, 2012 | comments ( 0 ) |
India’s leading jewellery brand, Gitanjali, has acquired a 15.3 per cent stake in Japanese retail chain Verite for Rs 25 crore. “With the stake in Verite, we want to obtain access to the Japanese jewellery retail market. This will enhance supply chain advantages, economies of scale and profitability,” said Mehul Choksi, Managing Director, Gitanjali Group. The stake was bought through its wholly-owned subsidiary-Astona Luxury Group in Hong Kong.
This acquisition also brings a 50 per cent supply contract to Gitanjali from Verite for its 101 jewellery retail stores in Japan.
Being the leading diamond jewellery market of the world with the likes of the US, India, China and West Asia, Japan consumes nearly 12 per cent of the global diamond jewellery. Also with consumers high on fashion consciousness, Japan offers excellent margins over commodity prices. “With the strengthening dollar, international revenues will balance our growth and margins,” he added.
- Microsoft starts retailing of Amazon Echo devices online and in stores
- ShopClues launches its first offline store in Lucknow
- Crocs opens its 100th store in India
- Williams-Sonoma, Inc. announces partnership with Reliance Brands for India Market
- Instant noodle brand YiPPee crosses Rs 1,000 crore sales mark
- Myntra CEO & CFO quit
- Levi Strauss plans to launch IPO
- Coffee Day Enterprises profit up by 60% in Q2 results
- Ecommerce to contribute 11% of FMCG sales by 2030: Nielsen
- Perpule Raises $4.7 million in Series A to Fuel Omni-Channel Retail & Consumer Commerce in India