M&S announces expansion
Aims to open 6-8 storesSeptember 26, 2013 | comments ( 0 ) |
Beating all the odds, British retail major Marks & Spencer announces that it would continues to bet big on Indian market and will open six-eight new stores over next six months. M&S operates 35 stores under Marks & Spencer Reliance India, which is a joint venture between Marks & Spencer Plc of Britain and Reliance Retail. "We have just opened our 35th store. At the moment, demand is fantastic. While a lot has been written about the slowdown here, we continue to see growth. The base is so small that it can only keep going up. We have not changed our expansion plans here," informed by M&S Reliance India MD Venu Nair at the prominent retail event.
Nair further said 11 stores have been set up in this calender year until now. "In the next six months, we plan to add six-eight more stores...Our 36th store will open soon. And location of the new stores will be in both large and small cities," Nair said without divulging investment details. About the challenges, Nair said apart from driving demand, real estate is also a concern. "Challenges are the same in most countries. Driving demand and finding the right property at the right price is the challenge," he said.
- Puma hires boxing champion Mary Kom as brand ambassador
- Epic Group to make $20 million investment in India
- Simon Carter to launch 3 new Indian franchise stores
- Titan Eyeplus open 3 new stores in Coimbatore
- V-Mart eyes tier 3 & 4 cities for expansion
- 7-Eleven eyes entering India with Future Group
- Bharti Airtel opens its 100th Next-Gen store
- WoodenStreet plans to launch 15 stores by 2019-end
- Skechers acquires Future Group's 49% stake in joint venture
- Bata reports 16% growth in net sales at Rs 7,787 mn