RIL takes Bharti Retail to court
Reliance Fresh claims misleading price comparisons.May 10, 2013 | comments ( 0 ) |
Reliance Fresh has filed a case against Bharti Retail and took it to court over misleading price comparisons, thus causing tension between the two groups. While Reliance Fresh is a part of Reliance Industries Limited, Bharti Retail is the retail arm of Bharti Group.
Reliance Fresh has asked the Delhi High Court that Bharti Retail stops making unwanted claims that their Easyday stores offers products at a cheaper price as compared to Reliance outlets. These claims have been made using leaflets and newspaper inserts, distributed across various cities including Ghaziabad, Aurangabad, Ludhiana and Jaipur.
The Delhi High Court has issued notice on May 3, according to the court's website.
This development has come across as a new addition to the existing rivalry between the two groups which started with telecom in early 2000.
This rivalry or competition is also strongly visible in their retail operations. While RIL's retail business, launched in 2006, marked revenue of Rs 10,000 crore in 2012-13, and has 1,400 stores across the country, Bharti, launched in 2007, is a much smaller player with 200 stores. Bharti, though, is now expected to expand operation with its partner Walmart as government opens FDI.
- From MakeMyTrip to Cleartrip, e-travel firms to top $10 bn in bookings
- Myntra launches Italian handbag brand Carpisa exclusively on its platform
- Paytm partners insurance provider LIC
- Microsoft starts retailing of Amazon Echo devices online and in stores
- ShopClues launches its first offline store in Lucknow
- Crocs opens its 100th store in India
- Williams-Sonoma, Inc. announces partnership with Reliance Brands for India Market
- Instant noodle brand YiPPee crosses Rs 1,000 crore sales mark
- Myntra CEO & CFO quit
- Levi Strauss plans to launch IPO