Spencerís opens hyperstore in Chennai
Opens as a part of its strategy to expand hyper-format stores to 80.June 10, 2013 | comments ( 0 ) |
Spencer’s Retail, the FMCG retail arm of RPG Group, has opened its first ‘Hypermarket’ in Chennai. After Tiruchy and Coimbatore, the store is now open at Velachery. Spread across 23,000 sq ft the hyper store claims to have more than 14,000 products across categories including food and grocery, fruits and vegetables, personal care, cosmetics and fragrances, home and office essentials; and electrical appliances along with private labels. The store also houses a wide range of indigenous and imported products including cheese and wine.
The store has been divided into various sections, the first floor is known as the ‘power aisle’ where in the customers drive through the level. For an easy shopping experience, the store also has an exclusive ramp. The store is well staffed in order to help customers.
Some special features at the store include The live bakery, Patisserie, which has more than 140 varieties of bakery products, sweets and confectionery, along with over 80 varieties of breads alone. The price starts from Rs 5.
According to Mohit Kampani, Chief Executive, Spencer’s Retail, all the bakery products will be manufactured on the premises, serving them fresh and hot. We have a wide variety of cheese including Smoked Cheese, Gouda and Provolone among others imported from places like France, Germany and Denmark. This will surely attract customers.
The store also boasts of longest operation hours from 7 am to 10 pm and will have 16 cash tills.
The expansion is a part of recent strategy unveiled by Spencer's Retail, where in it plans to focus strongly on hyper-format stores and will invest Rs 600 crore. The company plans 80 hyper stores in the next two years. As of now, the company has 132 stores, including 26 hyper stores, 14 super market and 92 convenience stores.
- Welspun group aims Rs 1,000 crore turnover from new flooring line
- Miniso eyes sourcing Indian products to Australia & US
- Trek Bicycles plans to expand retail stores across India
- Vision Express starts its 16th store in New Delhi
- BlueStone launches its first store in Mumbai
- Splash Fashions to expand its digital presence
- Toonz Retail opens store in Dwarka
- Mufti expands into footwear category
- Fashion e-tailer Craftsvilla plans to open 1,000 outlets in 2019
- Taneira to launch 50 stores in 5 years