Total retail industry venture financing deals in Q4 2020 worth $3.38 bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
The value marked an increase of 80.6% over the previous quarter and a rise of 68.1% when compared with the last four-quarter average, which stood at $2.09 bn.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $1.77 bn. At the country level, China topped the list in terms of deal value at $1.37 bn.
In terms of volumes, Asia-Pacific emerged as the top region for retail industry venture financing deals globally, followed by North America and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in Q4 2020 was the US with 28 deals, followed by China with 26 and India with 19.
In 2020, as of the end of Q4 2020, retail venture financing deals worth $9.25 bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 7.9% year on year.
Retail industry venture financing deals in Q4 2020: Top deals
The top five retail industry venture financing deals accounted for 47.8% of the overall value during Q4 2020.
The combined value of the top five retail venture financing deals stood at $1.62 bn, against the overall value of $3.38 bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five retail industry deals of Q4 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Chengtong Fund Management, Futian Capital, Hengan International Group, Industrial Bank, and Lenovo Ventures Group’s $412.78M venture financing of Beijing DMall E-commerce
- The $380M venture financing of GoBrands by Accel, D1 Capital Partners, Luxor Capital Group, and SoftBank Vision Fund
- C&D Xinxing Investment, China State-owned Enterprise Structural Adjustment Fund, GLP Fund, Jingwei China, Legend Capital, Tencent Holdings, Tiger Fund, Tongchuang Weiye, Yuansheng Capital, Yunfeng Fund L.P and Zhong Ding Capital’s $315M venture financing of Qingdao Zhenkun Trading
- The $309.63M venture financing of Cazoo by BlackRock, D1 Capital Partners, DMG ventures, Durable Capital Partners, Fidelity Management & Research, General Catalyst Partners, L Catterton, Mubadala Capital, Novator Partners, and The Spruce House Partnership
- DST Global, Exor Seeds, Moore Strategic Ventures, and Unbound’s venture financing of Cars24 Service for $200M