Sunil Mittal bags Philanthropist Award
Sunil gets recognition for his contribution to economy and society at large
October 28, 2010 | comments ( 0 ) |
Indian Telecom czar and chairman and Group CEO of Bharti Enterprises Sunil Mittal won the Philanthropist of the Year by the Asian Awards for his contribution in the area of education for the underprivileged.
Mittal has been recognised for his outstanding contribution in the area of education for the underprivileged through Bharti Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Bharti Group.
The Asian Awards recognises and rewards exemplary achievement across 12 categories that include business, philanthropy, entertainment, culture and sport.
It recognises achievement and excellence amongst South Asians from around the world.
According to the award citation, "Mittal's vision of empowering rural communities across India, through education establishes him as one of the world's leading philanthropists, illustrating that business can bring social changes too," Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
Bharti Foundation's Satya Bharti School Program provides free quality education to underprivileged children in remote villages across India with particular focus on the girl child.
The Program, under which 236 primary schools and a senior secondary school are operational currently, reaches out to over 30,000 children with modern curriculum that includes computer aided learning, free uniforms & books and mid-day meals.
Mittal, who is also a recipient of the country's third highest civilian award, Padma Bhushan, said, "I am also hopeful that the efforts of Bharti Foundation will offer thousands of children a platform to participate more meaningfully in India's growth story and contribute to the government's agenda of inclusive growth."
- Vision Express starts its 16th store in New Delhi
- BlueStone launches its first store in Mumbai
- Splash Fashions to expand its digital presence
- Toonz Retail opens store in Dwarka
- Mufti expands into footwear category
- Fashion e-tailer Craftsvilla plans to open 1,000 outlets in 2019
- Taneira to launch 50 stores in 5 years
- Saakshi launches new store in Forum Esplanade Mall
- RP Sanjiv Goenka Group targets Rs 1,000 cr annualised revenue from FMCG
- Bluestone eyes expanding in India with offline stores