Vijay Amritraj launches Indian wine in UK
Vijay Amritraj has joined forces with one of India's largest premium wine producers to launch a new range of fine wines for the UK market.July 01, 2014 | comments ( 0 ) |
LONDON: Former Indian tennis star Vijay Amritraj has joined forces with one of India's largest premium wine producers to launch a new range of fine wines for the UK market.
The Grover Vijay Amritraj Reserve Collection of white and red wines, which claims to be inspired by his legendary feats on the tennis court and iconic style of play, was launched at a Wimbledon-themed party at St James' Court Taj Hotel in London yesterday.
"We want these wines to compete with the rest of the world - be it French, Californian or Chilean. They have to have the kind of quality that we as tennis players had when we left Indian shores. Also, I hope when people talk about the wine they also talk about the fact that it came from India," Amritraj told PTI.
"This range represents a particular kind of taste that I enjoy; it's light on the white and it's got a rich red to it and you can pair it with different foods. The more important thing is that they are good quality and healthy wines that people can enjoy at fairly accessible rates," he added.
Both wines will be distributed in the UK market through Cranbrook Wines and Myliko International priced at around 14.99 pounds.
Amritraj is India's best-known tennis export, reaching No 16 in the world rankings in 1980 and beating many of the world's leading players during his 20-year career, including John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.
He also enjoyed a brief acting career, starring as M16 agent Vijay in the 1983 James Bond film 'Octopussy' and appearing as a starship captain in 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home'.
- Reliance Retail & Jio to jointly launch new e-commerce platform
- CCI gives nod to Samara Capital-Amazon's joint bid to buy More
- SoftBank eyes 40% stake in FirstCry for $400 million
- Vivo India launches 'Vivo Xchange' program in partnership with Cashify.in
- Milkbasket expands operations to Bengaluru
- Manyavar launches another store in Punjab
- Ola raises Rs 150 crore from Flipkart's Co-Founder Sachin Bansal
- Ananth Narayanan steps down as Myntra Jabong CEO
- DailyNinja celebrates 15 million orders fulfilled
- John Jacobs looks to garner Rs 500 crore revenue by March 2021