Kolkata records highest cigarette consumption in India: Survey
According to the 'ICICI Lombard Tobacco Consumption Habits 2014' survey, 44 per cent respondents in Kolkata reported an increase in their cigarette consumption in the last 2-3 years and the weekly spend on cigarettes is Rs 348.June 13, 2014 | comments ( 0 ) |
Kolkata, June 12 (PTI) With a person in Kolkata on an average smoking 9-10 cigarettes per day, the city has recorded the highest cigarette consumption in India, a survey report released today said.
It said that the frequency of tobacco consumption is the highest in Kolkata among the cities. A Mumbaikar, for example, consumes 6-7 cigarettes a day.
According to the 'ICICI Lombard Tobacco Consumption Habits 2014' survey, 44 per cent respondents in Kolkata reported an increase in their cigarette consumption in the last 2-3 years and the weekly spend on cigarettes is Rs 348.
"Smoking cigarettes is perceived to be relieving stress by most of the respondents. Also Kolkata respondents smoke mostly during and post work hours," it said.
Asked about the awareness of ill-effects of consuming tobacco, 93 per cent of the respondents said that they knew that smoking or chewing tobacco caused lung, mouth or throat cancer.
Interestingly, however, an alarming 94 per cent of respondents in the city have never tried to quit smoking and 64 per cent do not have a health insurance policy.
The comprehensive national survey, conducted in association with GfK Mode, covered all four regions represented by Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Lucknow and Hyderabad, with a sample size of 1,111 respondents.
- Grofers' standalone loss narrows to Rs 258 crore in FY18
- Tablez eyes launching 20 exclusive Build-A-Bear stores in India
- Future Consumer signs MoU with T Choithrams & Sons
- Apparel brand Turms raises Rs 2 crore in fresh funding
- Luxury brand Shazé plans to launch up to 10 new stores in 2019
- Patanjali eyes opening 100 Paridhan stores in the next one year
- Puma hires boxing champion Mary Kom as brand ambassador
- Epic Group to make $20 million investment in India
- Simon Carter to launch 3 new Indian franchise stores
- Titan Eyeplus open 3 new stores in Coimbatore