People in recent times have a strong inclination towards health and wellness. However, alongside having a healthy body and mind, consumers have started paying attention to oral health. With increasing awareness, consumers have realized issues in oral care might result in simple matters like bleeding gums or cavities or teeth pain. In the worst scenario, it could also result in problems like heart diseases, gut health issues, etc.
Scientific studies have been published stating that maintaining proper oral care reduces the risk of diabetes. And in the case of diabetic patients, paying attention to oral care helps to maintain the blood glucose level. What starts as a simple cavity in your teeth might turn out to be the causative agent for bacterial pneumonia or sepsis and sometimes even cancer.
Hence, irrespective of age and gender, it is extremely important to pay higher attention to oral health to lead a healthier life.
The World Dental Federation quotes that an estimated 3.5 billion people i.e. approx. 50 percent of the world's population suffers from oral health issues. The organization also states that untreated tooth decay is the most common disease in the world right now.
In India, as per Indian Dental Association, around 90 percent of adults and 80 percent of children in India suffer from dental cavities. Only half of the country’s entire population uses recommended and quality toothbrushes, of which only 25 percent brush twice a day. All these statistics are clear evidence of poor oral and dental health in our country. Brushing twice a day should be equivalent to taking a shower every day.
There is a dire need to create awareness among consumers around good oral hygiene practices and make the transition easier with effective products.
Ways to Maintain a Good Oral Hygiene
In order to have good health, it is a process of following small habits, repeated day-in, and day-out. Simple steps like brushing twice a day with the fluorinated paste can clean up your teeth and keep the teeth free from germs and plaque. Flossing every day also cleans up your teeth and protects them from plaque deposition. To ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy:
- Invest in a high-quality and effective toothbrush for holistic cleaning.
- Have an oral care regime that includes brushing twice a day, flossing, rinsing with a mouthwash, and tongue cleaning.
- Consider using products that will help you to elevate your everyday oral care. Important to understand the value that comes with using an electric toothbrush over a manual toothbrush, a mouthwash with probiotics for a healthy microbiome, a toothpaste without any toxic ingredients, etc.
- Make it a point to visit your dentist regularly, at least once a year. Important to take stock of your oral health through expert consultation.
- Important to keep replacing your brush heads, every 3 months to have good oral hygiene. With an electric toothbrush, there is an option to replace the brush heads. However, if you use a manual toothbrush, replace the toothbrush after 3 months, though it isn’t environment friendly.
- Invest in a toothbrush that has the right quality of bristles as per your requirement.
Insurgent Digital First Oral Care Brands
For quite a long time, the oral care space has been dominated by bigger FMCG brands like Colgate, Sensodyne, Oral B, etc. however, with increasing consumer awareness, and a need for better quality oral care products, this category is seeing the emergence of digital-first brands that are introducing products relevant for the digital consumer.
One such innovative brand is Perfora, co-founded by Jatan Bawa and Tushar Khurana. Perfora is building a clean, functional, and design-led oral care brand. Recently, they have introduced India’s best-designed and functional electric toothbrush that will elevate the everyday brushing experience. The product has a very sleek design, super soft charcoal-infused bristles, and a 2-minute timer with 30-second quad interval technology that delivers a standardized and effective experience. Soon, they plan to introduce a range of other oral care products like clean ingredients and science-backed mouthwash, toothpaste, etc.
Another brand that has an interesting range of oral care products is Oracura. They have a range of water flossers and have been at the forefront of narrating the benefits of flossing for the last couple of years.
Personal care brands like Mamaearth and Arata have also introduced fluoride-free, plant-based toothpaste for children and adults. With consumer preference for clean and toxic-free ingredients, products formulated without any harmful ingredients are increasing in demand. These products are available on Amazon India.
The oral care category has a lot of potential for disruption and with increasing consumer awareness and preferences for higher quality products, this space is going to witness innovative products designed for consumer needs.